Every moment is crammed with infinite riches which are given us according to the extent of our faith and love.
- Fr. Jean-Pierre de Caussade (1675- 1751)

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pentecost Cake


This past Sunday was Pentecost (or Whitsunday). So the kids and I made a cake. Because you really can't have too many reasons to celebrate. I got the idea from here. I made a white cake that was pretty tasty. It turned out a little too yellow because the recipe called for the whole egg. Next time I will try a recipe that only calls for the whites. I ran out of vanilla extract so I used almond extract instead. We all agreed that it was delicious that way. The kids said it reminded them of our Christmas Almond Pastry. The strawberries were from our most recent trip to the strawberry fields. The 12 whole strawberries represent the 12 fruits of the Holy Spirit. The 7 heart-shaped sliced strawberries represent the 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit. The small candles stand for the apostles and Mary that were present when the Holy Spirit came. And the large candle in the middle is for Jesus. The kids thought it was great! Next year I will have to make sure the kids can name all the fruits and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Hopefully their answers will not be STRAWBERRIES! :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: