Every moment is crammed with infinite riches which are given us according to the extent of our faith and love.
- Fr. Jean-Pierre de Caussade (1675- 1751)

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Small changes:2

A while back I wrote about the small changes I was trying to implement in my life to be more environmentally friendly.  A few months ago I tried another small change.  I didn't share right away because I wanted to see how it worked out first.  What is it?  Well....I have stopped using shampoo and conditioner.  I know, I know...you are probably thinking, "Eeeewwww!"  But it is actually great.  I haven't stopped washing my hair.  I'm just using much more environmentally friendly products.  Baking soda and apple cider vinegar.  My hair feels great, has tons of body, and I've gotten lots of compliments on my hair lately (from people who have no idea that I'm not using shampoo). 

This is how it works:  I keep a water tight container of baking soda on my bathroom counter.  I have a plastic one-cup measuring cup and a teaspoon there too.  The apple cider vinegar is in a bottle in the shower just like conditioner would be.  Before I get into the shower I measure out 2-3 teaspoons of baking soda into the measuring cup.  I take that into the shower.  When I'm ready to wash my hair I simply fill the measuring cup about half way with water.  Stir to semi-dissolve the baking soda.  Then I pour it onto my hair, trying to work it into the roots as much as possible.  It doesn't feel like it's working.  It actually feels like I'm just washing my hair with water.  Rinse well.  Next I pour a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the measuring cup and fill the rest of the way with water.  At this point I gather up my hair and dip then ends into the cup for 10 seconds or so since my hair is longish.  Then I dump the rest over the top of my hair.  Rinse and I'm done.  It's amazing how well it works.  I will say that there is a bit of an adjustment period. But after you get used to not having a foamy lather to wash with, it is really nice.  The kids especially like it.  Also, they really like using apple cider vinegar instead of conditioner.  Conditioner always felt too "slimy" for them.  For a good article on the how and why of going "no-poo" check out Babyslime.

No comments:

Post a Comment